Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yard Sales/Garage Sales


Yard Sales, Garage Sales, whatever you call them, it's that time of year. People go through their precious unused items(junk), put a price on it, and try to get others to purchase it. My husband loves garage sales, my mother loves garage sales, my girls love garage sales, but I HATE THEM!!! Somehow I missed the boat on this one. (According to my family.) Don't get me wrong, I've gotten some good things from a few garage sales, but I'm sure the time I've spent going to them, digging through the stuff, and wasting the gas to drive around would be worth far more than what I've actually saved! Or, maybe I'm just a little bitter because the one and only time I had a garage sale I spent more on lunch than I made!! Now, we do live in the country, but on a paved road. You'd think SOMEONE would stop and buy some of MY good junk! I am trying to get an attitude adjustment about this to make my husband happy. Do you think it's okay to ride along, but sit in the car with a book????

9 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm an estate sale person myself, I love going through the homes and seeing everything people have gathered through the years. I look for specific things, but driving to garage sales, I'm with you!

Trilby said...

Could you be a little more bitter? One person's junk in another person's treasure! I have gotten some great deals on kids clothes and I do believe you have a loveseat in your classroom that I got a terrific deal on!! So don't knock it!! Next time we go you can watch the kids for me! It would be even cheaper that way!! They have to much of their grandpa and great-grandma in them and think everything is a really good deal!!

Kerry said...

Wow...I think Travis might be better to go to garage sales with than you would be! A day spent garage saling is almost as good as a day at an auction. You never know what you are going to find and the search is half the fun!
And no, it is not ok to ride along and then sit in the car with a book-sorry!

Gay Graham said...

You need to change your outlook on the g-sales. Stop and think how can I recycle, make seem new , or be able to use in a craft. Having a sale is completely diffrent than going to a g-sale.Having a sale is like working for pennys an hour. Going to sales is like a surprise party.

Anonymous said...

I have had great luck with garage sales and plan to have one once school it out! I also plan to become an expert on them so I can find items for my grandkids or to sell on ebay.

Phyl said...

I absolutely agree. Just ask Kathy and Barb- I have no luck selling anything and always buy their stuff so make nothing. I am helping my Mom with her moving sale. I hope I don't jinx it for her.

suzanne said...

it sounds like you are just the expert to ask about my upcoming sale during kalona's city wide day...wanna come help? :) i could then advertise it as "multi family!"

Jan H said...

Going along & reading a book in the car is a grand idea. That's what I do when Dave wants to go to Menards!I did however have major luck with the garage sale I had after Jenna was born & I got ride of all Dylan's clothes that I had been saving in case we had another boy. I made enough to buy a piece of furniture!

Trina said...

I LOVE garage sales! Glad you aren't a garage saler, it leave more for the rest of us!