Friday, November 27, 2009

Two Family Favorites

Check out some great recipes and ideas linked to Colleen's blog! Thanks for hosting this Colleen. This is the first time I've linked to something like this and I have enjoyed it. Next week I'll be posting a tutorial for a gift...stay tuned!


As I've said before, we like to eat!! Everyone has favorites that they will request, some more often than others, but the guys love my buttermilk brownie recipe.


Sorry the photo doesn't really do them justice! Looks like I didn't get my powdered sugar smooth enough. And what is that blip at the edge of the pan?? Oh, well, they tasted great! They are moist and delicious!

Buttermilk Brownies

2 c. sugar 1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs 2 sticks melted oleo
1 t. vanilla 4 T. cocoa
2 cups flour 1 c. water
1 tsp. baking soda

Beat eggs, add sugar and vanilla then the flour, soda, and buttermilk. Bring to a boil, the oleo, cocoa, and water. Add to egg mixture. Put into greased 12 x 18 jelly roll pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Frost while warm.

Frosting:
1/2 c. oleo 1 lb. powdered sugar
4 T cocoa 1 t. vanilla
6 T buttermilk chopped nuts (optional)
Bring first oleo, cocoa, and buttermilk to a rapid boil, then add the remaining ingredients. Frost. (I usually use a mixer when I add the remaining ingredients. I often add a little more powdered sugar.)

Buttermilk Substitute--I never have buttermilk, so I use a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar in it. Add the vinegar and let it set a minute or so. Stir, and wha-la, you have buttermilk.

I have no photos for the next recipe, although we had it for our Thanksgiving dinner. Some may think of this as more of a dessert. We call it a salad.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad

1 stick butter
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. crushed pretzels
Melt butter and add sugar and pretzels. Press into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 10 min.

In a bowl cream 8 oz. cream cheese then add a medium container of Cool Whip and 1 cup of powdered sugar. Pour over cooled crust.

Mix 1 3/4 c. boiling water
1 pkg. strawberries w/juice
Mix and pour over the 2nd layer.

Refrigerate until cool and serve.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What wonderful homemade goodness! I can't wait to see your tutorial next week...

I'm so glad you joined in :)

Laurie said...

Wow the recipes sound wonderful! Any hints on the tutorial!? Can't wait to see!