Saturday, July 7, 2012

BLT Salad from Pinterest

I've been trying to actually use some of the things I've pinned on Pinterest, so I tried the BLT salad. I was actually thinking of our SIL, Kyle, since I know he likes BLTs, but they didn't come for supper. Sorry you missed out Kyle because It was fantastic! It is evidently kid friendly too, as even Payton loved it.





You can find a prettier picture at A Bird and a Bean blog.

Here is the original recipe with the changes I made in parenthesis. (I tried to lighten it up a bit.)

BLT PASTA SALAD

Ingredients
12 ounce corkscrew shaped pasta(I used bowtie because that's what I had)
1/2 cup milk
12 ounces lean bacon(I used turkey bacon)
3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks(I used cherry tomatoes)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme(didn't have any)
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup mayo (I used 1/4c light light mayo and 1/4c yogurt)
1/4 cup sour cream(light scour cream)
4 tablespoons chopped chives(didn't have any)
5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 cups chopped romaine hearts(used iceberg)

Directions
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan. Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside 1/4 cup for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.
Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 3 tablespoons chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve at room temperature.

So you can see that I changed it up because of lack of exact ingredients and lightened it up some with turkey bacon, light mayo and yogurt, and light sour cream. It was still delicious!

I'm sure this will become a family favorite.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Masters said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.