Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tomato Cream Soup and Homemade Croutons



It officially feels like fall this week. In fact several days have been chilly, rainy, and downright gloomy. So, it was a perfect time to try a new recipe. We used to have a B & B in town that served the BEST creamy tomato soup with homemade croutons. They recently closed and I was able to snag the recipe for the soup.

First I made the croutons. I started with a loaf of French bread that I sliced. And then used this recipe:
HOMEMADE CROUTONS FOR SOUP OR SALAD

1/2 c. olive oil 2 lg. garlic cloves, minced 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese 1-2 tbsp. dry parsley

Mix the last 4 ingredients together. Using pastry brush, brush both sides of slices with oil mix.

Cut into small squares.

Place single layers on cookie sheets. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Cool; keep in sealed container. Keeps 4-6 weeks.

I kept these in the oven quite a bit longer than this recipe calls for.


Creamy Tomato Soup

Sautee about 1/2 c. onions and garlic (about 1 tsp.)

Add: a large can of tomato sauce. (32 oz.)

a can of water

diced tomatoes

Stir in 1/4-1/3 c. sugar to taste

Add 1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

Heat and simmer then add 2 cups cream or 1/2 & 1/2

Heat and Eat!


It was Yummy!

2 comments:

Celtic Cakes said...

Yummy- I plan to try these recipes. Tomato soup is my favorite.
Phyllis

The Hartsocks said...

can't wait to make this - I have missed this soup - my favorite!