Monday, July 20, 2009

Cool Camping and Great Food!

We had a great weekend of camping this past weekend at Rock Creek State Park. Bud and I arrived at the campground on Thursday evening. Trilby, Mike, and boys and Tasha and Kyle joined us Friday evening. Friday evening was spent getting them set up and then supper and sitting around the campfire. (Listen to the great crackling fire!) The boys insisted on S'Mores and we introduced them to Jiffy Pop. There were some full tummies before they went to bed! Luckily warm clothing was packed as we set record lows Friday night--49 degrees. We were toasty with the furnace in our camper running, Trilby's family was warm, but Tasha and Kyle got a little chilled in their tent. Saturday was beautiful even though we were in pants and sweatshirts. Sunday was gorgeous too!

Breakfast on Saturday morning was a family favorite---Bigfoots! Now, you may know it as "fry bread" similar to what Native Americans would have eaten. We got started making these when my kids were little. We had a restaurant in town that make them in the shape of a "big foot". Well, being the frugal person that I was, I knew I could make them cheaper at home, so I set out to try. We then began to make them for breakfast one of the mornings each time we camped. I have made these things for a large camping group and the kids just keep coming back for more! Cael enjoyed his bigfoot!

Nate enjoyed his bigfoot also as you can tell by the chocolate on his face! (Every time I tried to take his picture this weekend he turned his head and said, "No, Nanny!")

Cael and Nate each caught a fish, but Nate was afraid of his once it was on the ground!


We played Rummikub, sat around the campfire,visited, read, went for walks, napped, canoed(Tasha, Kyle, Payton), and of course we ate! We all cooked our own thing and shared. Throughout the weekend we had ribs, catfish, hot dogs, burgers, chicken breasts, bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, fried potatoes, potato packets, cabbage casserole, baked beans, lettuce salad, watermelon, cantaloupe, peanut butter brownies, and homemade ice cream! Kyle and Cael were in charge of freezing the ice cream. It was so yummy I forgot to take a picture.

We were parked right next to the playground, so the two little boys spent their time over there.

They were the "suppliers of toys" for the group! Two big trucks and two containers of toys made their way over to the sand for two days. Payton spent his time on his bike, and they all made new friends. I had such a hard time getting Payton to stand still for a photo, but finally got one just before they left!

Everyone had a great time!
(I had so much trouble getting this to post correctly! The first paragraph just won't behave!)

4 comments:

Trina said...

Tasha said it was the perfect camping weekend and you had a great time. Wish we could have been there!

Theresa said...

Sounds like so much fun! We went camping on Friday night (just the 4 of us) at Kent Park but it was my style of camping because Jesse and I came home and slept at home. Then we didn't go back on Saturday morning so Kent and Meredith got to take down camp all by themselves! (Maybe I shouldn't sound quite so happy about that!?!) I'm curious as to how to make Bigfoots - please share the recipe!

bets said...

FUn, FUn, FUn!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can bruit about that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is quiet a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with efflux of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=audiosurf (2008) ?
I noticed the axiom you have in the offing not used. Or you profit by the dreary methods of inspiriting of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg