Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rhubarb Coffee Cake--YUM!!


We have always had rhubarb around, and even though I didn't think I liked it, it was free food, so I had to find recipes the kids would eat. I don't remember where this coffee cake recipe came from, but it has become one of our favorites. I even make it in the winter using frozen rhubarb.

Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Cream together: 1 1/2 cups sugar & 1/2 cup shortening

Add & beat: 1egg.
Pinch of salt
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk (I use a cup of milk with a
tablespoon of vinegar)
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla

Fold in two cups rhubarb:



Bake at 350 40-45 minutes in a 9 x 13 pan. After the first 20 min it will look like this:



Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar:



Finish baking for 20-25 minutes more.




Moist. Sweet. Sour. Yum.
If you want other rhubarb recipes see previous post here.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Trina said...

It sure was yummy!!