Saturday, August 8, 2009

Busy, Busy

I've been busy making these:


into these:

I've canned 42 pints so far. It just doesn't seem like much when I think about the canning I used to do when all of the kids were home! I always tried to have at least 50 QUARTS of just green beans. And they would usually be gone before the next summer and it was time to do it again. We ate them plain, covered with cheese, in casseroles (like tator tot because the icky picky sisters didn't like peas!), and especially with cream of mushroom soup and onion rings on top! Funny, but I mostly make them plain for just the two of us now.

Logically I think we could really afford to purchase these green beans since they really aren't very expensive, but I don't for several reasons; I know how these were handled and exactly what is in them, and I just THINK I should have a garden. I don't necessarily enjoy it, but I'm used to having it and canning to feed a family of six.

So, now I'm waiting for the second picking to be ready, tomatoes to ripen for salsa, and corn to freeze. I'm going to purchase carrots for canning at the produce auction since ours didn't get planted. Times are changing, but old habits die hard I guess.

3 comments:

Tanner said...

You should start picking apples. I can't get enough of your applesauce!

Trilby said...

I remember the years of helping plant and pick stuff and weeding! I hated it! But I sure did enjoy have the produce from it! There is nothing better than sitting down to a meal and realizing that the only things that weren't yours to grow, including the meat, were the milk and butter!

Julie said...

You have out canned me-I've done pints of regular green beans and a few quarts of the dilly beans. I have canned lots and lots of pickles. Corn is my least favorite to do. Our sweet corn patch didn't turn out very well so I don't really have any to do this year. Let us know when you are camping and who knows if Dennis can get away (haha) perhaps we may show up!